GenoPro Home
GenoPro Home  |  Get Started With My Genealogy Tree  |  Buy  |  Login  |  Privacy  |  Search  |  Site Map
 

GenoPro Support Forum




About the translation process I use

Click to view RSS...
Author Just a remark on a sentence in a previous announcement
Posted Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - Post #40670
Famous Writer

Famous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous Writer

Customers
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.0

Last Login: 2 hours ago
Posts: 417, Visits: 2,637
In the announcement of Updates to Report Skin Templates since GenoPro 2020 version 3.1.0.1 I noticed the following sentence:
I have reformatted some of the translated Dictionary.xml files via my ReformatXML utility (see App Launcher skin) to allow easier side by side comparison and editing against the English version (e.g.using WinMerge)
I don't know about the other translators, but this is not the way I proceed.  I always compare the latest English version with the previous English version that I processed.  I identify the differences between the English versions which I then translate and apply to a copy of the latest translated version.  So I have always 4 different versions to manage, the previous and latest English ones and the previous and latest translated ones.  That makes 4 folders per skin per release, each containing probably at least a config file and a dictionary.

I only compare the latest English with the latest translated version from time to time, to find out if I did not miss any tags or phrases.

I just wanted to clarify this to show that not every translator follows the same translation process and that reorganizing skins and folders may have a higher impact than expected.
Posted Monday, August 3, 2020 - Post #40679
Legendary Master

Legendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary Master

Administrators
Customers
Important Contributors
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.1

Last Login: 7 minutes ago
Posts: 2,941, Visits: 21,544
Apologies Nand if my changes have had a negative impact on your work. 

I was attempting to add some extras to other language Dictionary.xml files and just thought it better to have everyone using the same format and having all tags and attributes in alphabetic order should make life more simple (well at least Dictionary/Config maintenance anyway :heheSmile.  Hopefully you can reformat your previous files too to make the comparisons


'lego audio video erro ergo disco' or "I read, I listen, I watch, I make mistakes, therefore I learn"
Posted Monday, August 3, 2020 - Post #40680
Famous Writer

Famous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous Writer

Customers
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.0

Last Login: 2 hours ago
Posts: 417, Visits: 2,637
No, no problem at all.  The tool I use to compare XML files is largely insensitive to the way the XML files are organised.

I just wanted to underline that I always compare two English versions and not an English and a translated version.


Similar Topics

Click to view RSS...
Expand / Collapse

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse