GenoPro Home
GenoPro Home  |  Get Started With My Genealogy Tree  |  Buy  |  Login  |  Privacy  |  Search  |  Site Map
 

GenoPro Support Forum




Issue with web page references

Click to view RSS...
Author Page displays old information - page reload does not help due to URL value
Posted Thursday, July 9, 2020 - Post #40613
Famous Writer

Famous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous Writer

Customers
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.0

Last Login: 15 minutes ago
Posts: 417, Visits: 2,637
When following the link of a picture found on Google images, visitors end up on the page below

http://support.genopro.com/Uploads/Images/9714415a-6fda-44dd-8788-1770.jpg

Notice the difference between the name in the left column written with 'ch' and the ones on the right hand side and in the URL, both written with a 'g'.
This concerns an individual whose name spelling was corrected and for which some extra information was recorded.
Suspecting a caching problem, I reloaded the page but this did not help.  It is only when clicking on the name of the person in the left column that the information gets updated on the screen.


http://support.genopro.com/Uploads/Images/bbbcf735-8f5a-4799-baaf-2d84.jpg

However, the URL remains unchanged.  So when you reload the page it reverts to the old information.
The problem is due to the full page specification being used in the URL.
Would it be possible to reset the URL and strip the part starting at "/default ..."?
The only workaround I found so far is to select the home page first and then lookup the individual in the names index.
Posted Friday, July 10, 2020 - Post #40614
Legendary Master

Legendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary Master

Administrators
Customers
Important Contributors
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.1

Last Login: 1 hour ago
Posts: 2,941, Visits: 21,544
The problem here is that GenoPro does not remove obsolete or orphaned pages from a report so here the old page Lambregt-JoannaRosa-ind02761.htm remains but is no longer in the name index because it has been superseded by page Lambrecht-JoannaRosa-ind02761.htm but Google still has the old page reference

I can think of two solutions at present, one is to delete the original report each time changes are made and republish in its entirety,  this will take a bit longer to generate.  The other solution is to change the page naming to be just <id>.htm e.g. ind02761.htm  This prevents an obsolete page on change of name. This can be done by changing OutputFile for individual in Config.xml

    <Report
                        For="Individuals"
                        LoopItemName="i"
                        OutputFile="{id}.htm"
                        Template="Code\individual.htm" />


Initially this will still require the original report to be deleted. 

p.s. Google will eventually index the new page Wink





'lego audio video erro ergo disco' or "I read, I listen, I watch, I make mistakes, therefore I learn"


Edited: Friday, July 10, 2020 by genome
Posted Friday, July 10, 2020 - Post #40618
Famous Writer

Famous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous Writer

Customers
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.0

Last Login: 15 minutes ago
Posts: 417, Visits: 2,637
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines.  Reducing the file names to the <id> only is probably the best way to go.

In the meanwhile I could use the GenoPro FTP Client to clean up obsolete pages.  I always prepare a local 'mirror' version before updating the one on FamilyTrees, so I can  look for duplicates in the local version.  The rest is Google's problem.
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2020 - Post #40620
Legendary Master

Legendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary MasterLegendary Master

Administrators
Customers
Important Contributors
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.1

Last Login: 1 hour ago
Posts: 2,941, Visits: 21,544
There can be a lot of other 'deadwood' ie report folder from deleted objects as well as those from name chnages.

GenoPro maintains a record of the pages added to a particular report in the file GenoProCache.xml together with a timestamp for the time was added. This file can be found in the report folder.  If this is compared with the 'crawl-able' pages in the report, i.e. those with links from within the website as found by web crawlers or spiders, then the orphaned pages can be identified.

I used a very old program Xenu Link Sleuth to crawl your report at http://familytrees.genopro.com/Nand/SDBB-Public/ and after a bit of editing on that output and the GenoProCache.xml file I got two lists of filenames to compare with WinMerge. I will email you the WinMerge report with 'orphans' highligted on left.


'lego audio video erro ergo disco' or "I read, I listen, I watch, I make mistakes, therefore I learn"
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2020 - Post #40622
Famous Writer

Famous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous WriterFamous Writer

Customers
FamilyTrees.GenoPro.com
GenoPro version: 3.1.0.0

Last Login: 15 minutes ago
Posts: 417, Visits: 2,637
Got it.  Thank you.
Looks I'm heading for some late spring cleaning.


Similar Topics

Click to view RSS...
Expand / Collapse

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse